Toulovcovo (Spitalske/Hospice) namesti is on what was the site of the earliest settlement in Litomysl under today's castle. The name hospice arose from the fact that from the 14th century there was a hospice for old and poor citizens on this square. In 1407 Vavøinec Toulovec, a Litomysl burgher who owned large amounts of property in the surrounding villages, set up a fund which was later confirmed by King Vaclav IV, thereby ensuring the economic existence of the hospice. Many tales are associated with Toulovec, for example that he was a robber knight who gave his ill-gotten gains to the poor. It is said that he and his entourage had a hiding place in the rocky caves and caverns beyond Budislav and Jarošov.
Shortly after the establishment of the hospice, the hospice chapel was built, now the Church of the Apostles. The church is the oldest preserved sacred building in Litomysl; it is first mentioned in conjunction with the Toulovec fund in 1407. The church was joined to the hospice by a covered walkway. Vavøinec Toulovec is said to be buried there.
The church burned down on many occasions and was devastated - especially during the Hussite battles, and then once more during the religious discords of the first half of the 17th century. It was rebuilt many times, especially after the fires of the 18th century. A large-scale alteration and completion of the roofing and tower to its present appearance took place from 1838-42, when the hospice was closed; from that time onwards the church was independent.
Inside the church the gothic rib vaulting is preserved, as are other mediaeval elements (central window). The furniture, at present stored in the Litomysl presbytery, is modern, mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries.
Next to the church is house no. 151, where from 1834 lived Magdalena Dobromila Rettigova, author of a well-known Czech cookbook and other works, until her death in 1845. Her husband, Josef Sudislav Rettig, a municipality officer who wrote Czech poems and plays, was also a well-known patriot. In 1849 the city town hall was transferred here. Today the building serves as the seat of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church and prayer hall, built in neo-gothic style in the third quarter of the 19th century.
Walking along Božena Nemcova Street we arrive at a hidden stairway - Fortna. This was built to join the Upper (new) town with the Lower town. Today the stairway leads through the portal of the Piarist church and to the castle.
To the left of Toulovcovo namesti there is an elevated entrance to the Black Eagle Inn, where there was once a theatre. In 1854 and 1855 Josef Kajetan Tyl acted here with his theatre company.
If we walk a bit further down from the Black Eagle, on Šantovo namesti under the provost church, we can se the printing house. The building itself is not old, but stands on a special site: the Litomysl printing house was moved here at the beginning of the 16th century. Josef Kajetan Tyl published his first short stories here and later, when the printing house was owned by Antonin August from 1852-63, Jan Neruda worked here as an editor, and the works of V. Halek, F. L. Rieger a J. Neruda himself were published here; the collected works of Božena Nemcova were also printed here.
Directly opposite the printing house stands house no. 170, the family house of the Czech linguist Professor Quido Hodura - this has been commemorated since 1974 by a bust of Hodura, the work of the artist Karel Lidický.
The neighbouring corner building, no. 171, has a memorial plaque with a relief which states that Jan Hiller, one of our foremost pioneering physical education teachers was born here. Opposite this building, across an originally narrow street, one stood no. 172, in which Jan Nejedlý was born in 1878.
From 1997 - 1999, reconstruction of the paving and street furniture took place on Toulovcovo and Santovo namesti and the neighbouring streets. Toulovcovo namesti is now a quiet place that has been created as a place of rest. In the past few years the Toulovec holiday Fridays, when hundreds of children and adults come to the concerts and theatre performances, have gained a place in the life of the city.
Bronze information boards are situated throughout the historical heart of the city.